Monday, August 8, 2011

36w1d: More shopping. Online.

I have been spending a lot of time (and money) on the internet lately. Honestly, I am bit scared to check my credit card balance, although I know I am not buying junk, only the items that we need for the baby. We actually kind of gave up on getting a new TV for a while and resigned to watch Netflix shows on the computer (we did get a new computer; the old one wasn't going to last much longer). But I digress. I wanted to say that I much prefer online shopping than regular stores, especially for baby items. The reason behind it?

1. Variety. There are usually many more choices online.

2. Reviews. Things may be pretty but are they really well made, useful, appropriate?

3. Price. Pretty much everything is less expensive online, and you can get free shipping on most items.

4. Time. I shop during lunch break at work or late at night. Neither one I could spend shopping in in a brick and mortar store. Plus I save time on driving to and from the store.

With baby items, additional plus is that if I have to, I can return the generic items to a regular baby store most of the time. We spent over 3 hours in one of the big baby stores a week ago, looking at things and not being able to make a decision. I was supposed to use my coupons and get all the remaining baby things at once. We both were simply exhausted (a trip to IKEA after didn't help) and I ended up with not even half of what I needed, of which three or four things I will be returning as I found exactly the same items for a less online afterwords. I absolutely love online shopping and I don't think I will be going back to this store to actually buy things other than diapers, only to spend the store credit $$ I have (returned a whole bunch of shower gifts).

I should go now but I want to give you a quick update on the nursery front. I'm starting to doubt that I will ever paint the stripes on the walls. :( There are so many other things to worry about! Even though we did quite a lot this past weekend: we put together the dresser and the bookshelf (minus shelves), and I put most of P's little clothes and other items in the dresser. I would like to finish the bookshelf and perhaps install the changing pad on the dresser today. Once we finish the bookshelf, I can finally put his many, many books away and free some room on the floor/stairs. And would also like to finish putting away the rest of P's clothes, etc. This way I may be able start painting tomorrow, one wall at the time. I already ordered the hook for the guitar, a secure one, that will hold the guitar in place even when knocked about accidentally. So I have a plan! This makes me feel so much better! Perhaps we can hang the new fan on Saturday. If P decided to come late, we will even have time to steam clean the living room rug and put it in his room! :)

I also spoke with my mom about her labor with all three of us (I have two sisters, one is three years older than me and the other is fourteen years younger). I found out two interesting things. My mom was induced with my older sister and me, as she was going over her due date (I was two weeks late, not sure how late was my big sister). We both were average weight babies (around 7 lbs each) and born healthy. She went into labor spontaneously with my little sister, although I believe it happened a few days after her due date as well. My little sister was on a heavier side (9 lbs). My mom also said that her labor was long, but once she got to the pushing stage, it was very quick. I hope this will be true for me too. Even though it's getting harder and harder to get around and do stuff, I think I would rather P to be late than early. This will give us (or DH, as I most likely will not be able to do much in a couple of weeks) the time to finish up everything we need to.

The other interesting fact that I learned from my mom was that she did not breastfeed me or my older sister. Her doctor said the she won't have milk because of the induction drugs and she, being in her early twenties, didn't even think to try after a few days. She also said that nobody was encouraging new moms to breastfeed and the fact that mom's milk is the best for the baby wasn't really a common knowledge.

I am glad I didn't have babies thirty something years ago with no internet and no access to the knowledge I have now. 36 weeks 1 day. A few more weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment