Tuesday, August 9, 2011

36w2d: Midwife appointment

Had my midwife appointment today with an internal check. I'm not dilated yet but I am about 50% effaced and station -3, so it is starting slowly. I thought something has started as I have been having slight period like cramps lately (we learned on our Bradley class that this is how you feel your cervix 'working'). when I told DH yesterday on the way home, he was so excited!

I'm not going to have any more internals until 41 weeks (unless I want to) so we will see. I also got 'swabbed' for GBS/group B strep and had my blood drawn for the last time. From now on I also go every Tuesday.

P is still head down and I officially need to start counting his movements (every other day until the due date and then every day).

We were supposed to get our oxygen tank already, but it turns out that there are some others who are due still in Aug and still don't have theirs. I have to call them on Thursday and we will be most likely picking it up on Friday.

I heard from several sources, and the midwife confirmed, that if there is any prediction about how your labor is going to be, it is to base it on your mom's experience. So I talked to my mom recently and found out that all three of us (my two sisters and I) were induced. I knew I was two weeks late but didn't realize all three of us were. And didn't know about the induction. So if there is any truth to the prediction, we still have plenty of time to work on the nursery! ;) So we discussed the plan in case I do go over the due date. They will do another internal check at 41 weeks and see where we are. If nothing happens at 41.5 weeks, we start talking about some help. First castrol oil, if that doesn't help, Cervidil. Cervidil can be applied by the midwifes so we would still plan on home birth. But at this point I would also have to schedule a hospital induction for closer to 42 weeks (which would be around Sep 18, but since it is a Sunday, it would most likely happen on the Fri 16 or Mon 19). The midwife said that even if I go to labor the day I am supposed to be induced, I can still deliver at home, which is nice. I really hope I won't have to go to the hospital!

We still need to provide a birth plans to the midwifes (one for home and one for the transfer, but I would also like to have an extra one in case of induction) and install the car seat. We have almost all the supplies (minus ammonia for cleaning purpose).

We didn't make any more progress on the nursery as I felt too tired last night and tonight. I hope we will get some stuff done on Friday (I am working from home so will save time on commuting; DH is off and I will try to convince him to install the new fan in P's room). We have a birthday party for our friends' one year old to attend on Sat afternoon, and then DH's brother's birthday lunch or dinner on Sunday. It may not be possible to do much on the weekend.

I am working on my parents invitations to come here to US. We finished and submitted their visa applications today and they will have their interviews on Friday. I am praying they will get the visas! I really would like them to come see P before we can travel with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment