Tuesday, August 17, 2010

35 dpo - 7 weeks

Tomorrow is a big day. Ultrasound. I will be 7 weeks 1 day then (7 weeks by LMP) so if we don't see the heartbeat, it's pretty much doomed. I am nauseous, don't know if this is more morning sickness or the stress. I am lucky my boss isn't here today because I cannot concentrate on anything.

7 weeks is a milestone, definitely. I would be celebrating if I knew that the baby was still alive. But I don't. Last time the baby passed at about 6 weeks 4 days. I wonder if (s)he had a heart beat. If we went for the suggested follow up u/s 10 days after the first one, it would have been too late already. So there was no way of knowing.

I read a beautiful pregnancy blog. She went to 10 weeks to find out that the baby stopped growing at just passed 8 weeks. I know that feeling. We were almost 11 weeks to find out that may body was cheating me for the last 5 weeks! She is pregnant again. Egg donor. About 32 weeks now. A boy. Happy ending.

There was a study done on the heart rate and chances of miscarriage: www.fetalultrasound.com/online/text/4-010.HTM. I studied it in detail and here are my conclusions:

1. If a baby between 6-10 mm has a heartbeat rate of more than 90 bpm, the chances of miscarriage are only 0.5%.

2. However, if the heartbeat is less than 90bpm in babies younger than 8 weeks, the chances for miscarriage are 80%.

3. Normal embryos start life with heartbeat of more than 85bpm.

I really hope that we see at least 10mm baby with a heartbeat of well over 100 bpm. Is this too much to ask? That's all we wanted to see last time, but we didn't, so apparently it is.

21 hours to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment