Thursday, August 19, 2010

OBGYN appointment

I went to the doc on Thursday and she said the measurements are only approximate, especially in the first weeks, and that if a different tech did it right away, the results would probably be different. Not to mention variations due to different equipment. She totally dismissed the 6w3d note and said as long as the tech didn't see the need to change the due date, she is totally not concerned.So it looks like the doctor's visit was totally unnecessary and I could have simply relied on the opinions of my online friends. :)

An interesting thing we learned though. When I asked for another u/s before the 12w scan, she said she has no problem with me going even once a week until then, but to check with the insurance. She said the u/s run up to $600-$700 without insurance, and most insurance plans cover only the necessary ones (first one and then a 12w scan, etc.) and emergency ones (bleeding, pain, etc.). She did give me two requests (for two u/s), one at 9 weeks (the one I asked for) and one at 11-12 weeks. I can use the 9 weeks one if I want to.

Another interesting thing was that she totally criticized my onco-gyno treatment of the MP! She said it was unnecessary to give me 9 shots of metho and he should have given me multi agent when two metho shots didn't bring hcg to 0. Of course I didn't agree with any of it, and mentioned that it looks like what he did was a standard procedure. Honestly, since almost a year on this board I've never heard of using mutli agent so soon. Plus my onco-gyno happens to be the Director of Division of Gynecologic Oncology at the George Washington University Medical Center in Washington DC. She may be a great OBGYN but in case of MP somehow I trust him to know what he is doing more than her. Based on her lack of open mindness (is that a word??) I am thinking of changing a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment